From 1907 to 1945, the Postbahnhof at the Berlin Ostbahnhof was an important hub for the railway traffic in Prussia and eastern Germany.
The facility is located directly on Straße der Pariser Kommune, in the cities Friedrichshain district. Two 100 meter long buildings sit opposite each other – the ‘Departure Packing Hall’ and the ‘Arrival Packing Hall’.
They were commissioned in 1904 by the Berlin Post Directive and were designed by architects Wilhelm and Walter Tuckermann.
Each hall has a floor area of approximately 1,800 square meters. The ground-level area was for sorting the mail into vans and trucks, first floor was where the trains would load and unload.
Postbahnhof has a long history of culture in the city and was first used as a techno club shortly after the fall of the wall. The building also housed the well known ‘Fritz Club’ from national broadcaster Rbb. For many years it was a popular open-air and concert venue where artists such as the Vaccines, Paulo Nutini and 30 Seconds to Mars performed.
Today the ‘Packing hall’ is renovated with open-plan offices for the travel search engine, KAYAK and online fashion retailer, Zalando.
The first floor, ‘Eingangs-Packkamer’ has been repurposed for conferences, trade exhibitions and other events, since 2010.
Special thanks to the “Museumsstiftung Post und Telekommunikation” for the photographs.